Money saving advice from www.mumandbabyonline.co.uk:
Have you heard of Healthy Start vouchers?
If you are pregnant or have a child under 4 years old then you may qualify to receive vouchers towards the buying of :
- Plain cow’s milk – whole, semi-skimmed or skimmed. It can be pasteurised, sterilised, long life or UHT
- Plain fresh or frozen fruit and veg, whole or chopped, packaged or loose
- Infant formula milk that says it can be used from birth and is based on cow’s milk.
You can claim between £3.10 and £6.20 per week which is a fantastic help when it comes to our weekly shopping. All you need to do is fill out a form online or speak with your Midwife or Health Visitor and they will give you a form to complete. To qualify you must be in receipt of at least one of the following:
- Income Support, or
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, or
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
- Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit unless your family is receiving Working Tax Credit run-on only*) and has an annual family income of £16,190 or less (2011/12).
You will also qualify if you are under 18 and pregnant, even if you don’t get any of the above benefits or tax credits.
And it gets better! As well as receiving vouchers towards these food costs you will also receive vouchers for vitamins every eight weeks. These vitamins will be for you as a pregnant mum but also for you child if they are aged from 6 months and they will continue to receive these vouchers until they are 4 years old.
Finally, please do remember to come along to www.mumandbabyonline.co.uk where you can sign up to receive a host of newsletters from people such as Pampers, Boots and Hipp Organic who will send through a whole host of vouchers and money saving coupons as well as budgeting tips, offers and opportunities to receive freebies from them. It’s great to start as soon as you find out you are pregnant as it will give you the chance to save lots of money right from the get go!