I’ve seen lots of fun posts recently about ways to save £1. These are full of great ideas so I thought I’d take my turn. Money Supermarket have asked bloggers to share their money saving tips and one lucky blogger will win £2000!! Find out more here.
So, I present 30 ways to save £1!
- Always write a shopping list before you go to the supermarket. This is probably my number 1 money saving tip and saves me loads of money each week!
- Plan your meals for the week to make sure you only buy what you need and minimise waste!
- Batch cook things like bolognaise and curries so you can stash a couple of portions away for nights when you don’t want to cook.
- When eating out with small children, don’t waste money ordering them a seperate meal which they probably won’t eat. Just ask for an extra plate and create a toddler dinner from whatever the grown ups are eating.
- For a cheap way to decorate your house, keep pretty cards or postcards and frame them. No-one will know its not a proper picture!
- Close curtains early to keep the heat in your home.
- Buy a water bottle, fill it and take it out whenever you go out. Saves buying one out and about for at least £1 per bottle.
- Turn off the lights when you leave the room.
- Learn how to do some basic repairs to your clothes so you can get more wear from them.
- Bake cakes and biscuits for the tin – much cheaper than buying them!
- Buy second hand toys and books for your kids. They don’t know the difference!
- Have a present box or cupboard so you can pick up bargains when you see them and never have to panic buy a gift!
- Sign up to cashback sites like Quidco.
- Take a packed lunch when you go out for the day rather than buying food.
- Shop around before all purchases, you can save a lot of money!
- Learn how to get better fuel economy from your car and make your petrol go further!
- Don’t park in the town centre, there’s usually a cheaper car park if you are prepared to walk 5-10 minutes.
- Get organised and make sure you always pay your bills and credit card off on time so you don’t get any fines.
- Deal in cash not cards. It really makes you think twice about unnecessary spending.
- Get a piggy bank and chuck in your spare change once a week. It will soon add up.
- Let your kids get creative and make cards and presents for relatives. The kids will have fun and the gifts will mean a lot more.
- Keep a price book so you can check when your favourite products are on a great offer and stock up!
- But don’t stock up on more than you need. Its not a bargain if you end up chucking it away!
- Cut coupons from magazines to save a few pennies on your shop.
- Use your local library. Free books and cheap DVD rentals.
- Stop buying magazines and do your reading online instead.
- Days out don’t need to be expensive. Head to the seaside or the park with a picnic and enjoy the fresh air.
- Pick up a reward card from any shops that offer them.
- Check you have the best deals on all your bills. Sometimes it pays to switch.
- PIck up pennies that you find on the street – keep looking and eventually you might find £1!!
So that was my 30 ideas. Have you got some of your own? Why not do a post yourself if you are a blogger, or leave a comment if you’re not!
Disclosure: Money Supermarket have kindly offered to pay £1 for each tip up to £30